Sunday 24 June 2012

Mini Ombre Layer Cake




Now this...this was an adventure. 

It was my lovely mum's birthday on Saturday, so I decided that I'd try and make her something silly and exciting. I was originally going to do a cheesecake, but then my (limited, except for the kitchen perhaps) sense of adventure over-took me and I decided that this was what I was going to do.  

I've made a few cakes before with varying levels of success, I'm not what it is about me and cake sometimes, but apparently it's not always as 'easy' as it should seem. This one is hardly my best - a little undercooked (I blame fiddling with recipes and mini cake tins), the colours aren't quite what I'd hoped for (I ran out of the more magenta and had to use red, which altered things a bit - one layer is well, turquoise somehow and now purple), but I had a lot of fun baking it and my mum absolutely loved it, which is really all that counts. 




All in all I think it took about five hours to put together, but it was absolutely worth it. I'm also all geared up to try and make some really cool things now I've done this.
What kind of really cool I'm not sure - I'm a little afraid of macaroons..for now, but I have some ideas. I guess we'll just had to wait and see, huh?
Anyway.


For the recipe I halved (as I was only using 8" tins) Rasberri Cupcake's Purple Ombre Sprinkles Cake, and this over on BBC Food for the buttercream. The decoration was for the fun of it and to make it look a little less twee - also I'd been dying to use those weeny little pegs ever since I bought them.



No comments:

Post a Comment